Legislature(1993 - 1994)

03/25/1993 05:00 PM TRA

Audio Topic
* first hearing in first committee of referral
+ teleconferenced
= bill was previously heard/scheduled
txt
                                                                               
             HOUSE TRANSPORTATION STANDING COMMITTEE                           
                         March 25, 1993                                        
                            5:00 p.m.                                          
                                                                               
                                                                               
  MEMBERS PRESENT                                                              
                                                                               
  Representative Richard Foster, Chair                                         
  Representative Gary Davis, Vice-Chair                                        
  Representative Eldon Mulder                                                  
  Representative Al Vezey                                                      
  Representative Jerry Mackie                                                  
  Representative Curt Menard                                                   
                                                                               
  MEMBERS ABSENT                                                               
                                                                               
  Representative Bill Hudson                                                   
                                                                               
  COMMITTEE CALENDAR                                                           
                                                                               
  Marine Pilots Board Confirmation Recommendations                             
                                                                               
                                                                               
  *HB 207:  "An Act relating to the organization of the                        
            Department of Transportation and Public Facilities                 
            into four regions."                                                
                                                                               
            MOVED FROM COMMITTEE WITH INDIVIDUAL                               
            RECOMMENDATIONS                                                    
                                                                               
  HB 61:    "An Act relating to the offense of operating a                     
            motor vehicle, aircraft, or watercraft while                       
            intoxicated; and providing for an effective date."                 
                                                                               
            MOVED FROM COMMITTEE WITH INDIVIDUAL                               
            RECOMMENDATIONS                                                    
                                                                               
  (* First public hearing.)                                                    
                                                                               
  WITNESS REGISTER                                                             
                                                                               
  LARRY LABOLLE, Chief of Staff                                                
  Representative Richard Foster                                                
  Alaska State Legislature                                                     
  Room 611 - Court Building                                                    
  Juneau, Alaska  99801-1182                                                   
  465-3789                                                                     
  Position Statement:  Provided overview on HB 207.                            
                                                                               
  RON B. LIND, Director                                                        
  Plans, Programs and Budget                                                   
  Department of Transportation and Public Facilities                           
  3132 Channel Drive                                                           
  Juneau, Alaska  99801-7898                                                   
  465-2171                                                                     
  Position Statement:  Provided testimony re:fiscal note,                      
                       HB 207.                                                 
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE JIM NORDLUND                                                  
  Alaska State Legislature                                                     
  State Capitol                                                                
  Juneau, Alaska  99801-1182                                                   
  465-4712                                                                     
  Position Statement:  Sponsor of HB 61.                                       
                                                                               
  JUANITA HENSLEY, Chief, Driver Services                                      
  Division of Motor Vehicles                                                   
  Department of Public Safety                                                  
  P.O. BOX 20020                                                               
  Juneau, Alaska  99802-0200                                                   
  465-4371                                                                     
  Position Statement:  Answered questions regarding proposed                   
                       amendment to HB 61.                                     
                                                                               
                                                                               
  PREVIOUS ACTION                                                              
                                                                               
  BILL:  HB 207                                                                
  SHORT TITLE: ESTABLISH FOUR DOTPF REGIONS BY LAW                             
  BILL VERSION:                                                                
  SPONSOR(S): REPRESENTATIVE(S) FOSTER,Hoffman,Mackie                          
                                                                               
  TITLE: "An Act relating to the organization of the                           
  Department of Transportation and Public Facilities into four                 
  regions."                                                                    
                                                                               
  JRN-DATE    JRN-PG                     ACTION                                
  03/08/93       569    (H)   READ THE FIRST TIME/REFERRAL(S)                  
  03/08/93       570    (H)   TRANSPORTATION, FINANCE                          
  03/25/93              (H)   TRA AT 05:00 PM CAPITOL 17                       
                                                                               
  BILL:  HB  61                                                                
  SHORT TITLE: LOWER ALCOHOL LIMIT TO 0.08 FOR OMVI'S                          
  BILL VERSION:                                                                
  SPONSOR(S): REPRESENTATIVE(S) NORDLUND,Ulmer,Brown                           
                                                                               
  TITLE: "An Act relating to the offense of operating a motor                  
  vehicle, aircraft, or watercraft while intoxicated; and                      
  providing for an effective date."                                            
                                                                               
  JRN-DATE    JRN-PG                     ACTION                                
  01/15/93        73    (H)   READ THE FIRST TIME/REFERRAL(S)                  
  01/15/93        74    (H)   TRANSPORTATION,JUDICIARY,FINANCE                 
  01/27/93       169    (H)   COSPONSOR(S): BROWN                              
  02/25/93              (H)   TRA AT 05:00 PM CAPITOL 17                       
  02/25/93              (H)   MINUTE(TRA)                                      
  03/25/93              (H)   TRA AT 05:00 PM CAPITOL 17                       
                                                                               
                                                                               
  ACTION NARRATIVE                                                             
                                                                               
  TAPE 93-11, SIDE A                                                           
  Number 015                                                                   
                                                                               
  CHAIR FOSTER called the meeting to order at 5:23 p.m.                        
                                                                               
  CHAIR FOSTER referred to the first item he wanted to bring                   
  up on the agenda, the CONFIRMATION OF THE MEMBERS TO THE                     
  MARINE PILOTS BOARD.  He referred to the files and asked                     
  each member to take a moment to look at the resumes for the                  
  following individuals:  Mark E. Springer, John C. Klepper,                   
  and Donna Bumgardner.                                                        
                                                                               
  Number 027                                                                   
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE MACKIE moved for the confirmation of Mark E.                  
  Springer, John C. Klepper and Donna Bumgardner and moved                     
  that the three be moved from the committee with individual                   
  recommendations.                                                             
                                                                               
  Hearing no objection, CHAIR FOSTER moved to the next item on                 
  the agenda, HB 207.                                                          
  HB 207 - ESTABLISH FOUR DOTPF REGIONS BY LAW                                 
                                                                               
  Number 039                                                                   
                                                                               
  CHAIR FOSTER indicated to the committee that he was prime                    
  sponsor of this resolution and introduced LARRY LABOLLE, his                 
  Chief-of Staff, and indicated he would be providing                          
  testimony on HB 207.                                                         
                                                                               
  Number 042                                                                   
                                                                               
  LARRY LABOLLE began his testimony stating that HB 207 was                    
  introduced to generate discussion related to the need for                    
  more emphasis on rural airport and road maintenance and                      
  construction.  He described how neglected the roads and                      
  airports were, particularly in the Central Region.  He                       
  stated, "not only are many rural airports in serious need of                 
  being upgraded; airport roads, roads to safe water sources,                  
  roads to sewage disposal sites and roads to land fill sites                  
  are nonexistent or in bad repair in many villages."  The                     
  district described by Mr. Labolle is envisioned to encompass                 
  the part of Northern Alaska not connected to the Dalton                      
  Highway, Western Alaska, the Lower Yukon River, the                          
  Kuskokwim River, South Western Alaska and the Aleutian                       
  Islands.  Kodiak would probably still best be served by the                  
  Central Region, he said.                                                     
                                                                               
  Number 046                                                                   
                                                                               
  CHAIR FOSTER indicated that he hoped that as this bill was                   
  discussed, people would give thought as to how the                           
  Department of Transportation and Public Facilities (DOT\PF)                  
  might be reorganized to better develop the necessary                         
  transportation infrastructure in that rural part of the                      
  state not connected to the core highway system.  He said it                  
  was distressing to travel and see the shape of the airports                  
  and roads in many parts of rural Alaska.                                     
                                                                               
  Number 098                                                                   
                                                                               
  RON LIND, DIRECTOR, PLANS, PROGRAMS AND MANAGEMENT, DOT/PF,                  
  discussed the high costs attached to the proposed fiscal                     
  note and mentioned that some of the administrative services                  
  could be provided by the Central Region, etc.  However, he                   
  mentioned that anyplace these offices would be located                       
  beyond Anchorage would increase the costs.                                   
                                                                               
  Number 177                                                                   
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE MENARD asked Chair Foster if the main purpose                 
  of the bill was in response to the lack of attention                         
  currently given to the rural region of the state.                            
                                                                               
  Number 186                                                                   
                                                                               
  CHAIR FOSTER responded that the rural areas really lost out                  
  in federal road money provided by the Intermodel Surface                     
  Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 (ISTEA) in the past.                   
  Currently, due to the lack of roads in rural Alaska that                     
  qualify for the "core" definition type roads money attached                  
  to the ISTEA program, rural Alaska gets a minor amount on                    
  this ISTEA money.                                                            
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE MULDER felt that the Finance Committee could                  
  narrow down and make the fiscal impact considerably smaller.                 
  He felt that the cost of shifting personnel and merging some                 
  of the duties could help lessen the impact.                                  
                                                                               
  Number 244                                                                   
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE JERRY MACKIE asked to be shown as a sponsor                   
  of HB 207.  He indicated that he shared a lot of the same                    
  frustrations as discussed by Chair Foster, and also felt                     
  that the Finance Committee could do a lot of work in looking                 
  at this legislation, and the fiscal impact could be more                     
  adequately addressed there.                                                  
                                                                               
  Number 279                                                                   
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE MACKIE stated that he felt HB 207 had a lot                   
  of merit and felt that the Finance Committee would be the                    
  logical place for the bill to go at this time.                               
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE MACKIE moved that HB 207 pass from committee                  
  with individual recommendations.  No objections were heard;                  
  it was so ordered.                                                           
  HB 61 - LOWER ALCOHOL LIMIT TO 0.08 FOR OMVI'S                               
                                                                               
  Number 296                                                                   
                                                                               
  CHAIR FOSTER requested REPRESENTATIVE NORDLUND, as sponsor                   
  of the next item on the agenda, HB 61, to come forward and                   
  offer any new testimony or information he would like to                      
  present to the committee.                                                    
                                                                               
  CHAIR FOSTER indicated that at the last meeting there were                   
  still a lot of questions regarding HB 61 and he felt an                      
  adequate amount of time had gone by for those interested to                  
  address their concerns and present them at this time.                        
                                                                               
  Number 300                                                                   
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE JIM NORDLUND stated he did not have anything                  
  new.  However, he mentioned there was currently a law being                  
  introduced in Congress which provided for passage of a .08                   
  alcohol level.  He referred to JUANITA HENSLEY, CHIEF OF                     
  DRIVER SERVICES IN THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY, to                       
  answer questions about the new federal .08 law proposal.                     
                                                                               
  MS. HENSLEY stated that in order for a state to obtain and                   
  qualify for federal safety funding money in addition to the                  
  highway funds, the .08 option was one of six requirements                    
  currently proposed.  In order to comply and receive the                      
  money, the state must meet at least five of these                            
  requirements.                                                                
                                                                               
  Number 369                                                                   
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE VEZEY objected to federal control and felt                    
  there gets to be a point where the state should tell the                     
  federal government to keep their money.                                      
                                                                               
  MS. HENSLEY stated that she has been dealing with a lot of                   
  this frustration in a lot of areas lately.                                   
                                                                               
  Number 430                                                                   
                                                                               
  CHAIR FOSTER brought up a proposed amendment which had been                  
  brought to his office by representatives of the Alaska                       
  Cabaret, Hotel, Restaurant & Retailers Association.  The                     
  proposed amendment was to add a new section 5:  "This Act                    
  takes effect only if the state fails to become eligible                      
  before January 1, 1995, the commissioner of public safety                    
  shall notify the revisor of statutes regarding the                           
  eligibility of the state to receive a basic grant as                         
  described in this section."                                                  
                                                                               
  Number 468                                                                   
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE MULDER described the amendment, saying that                   
  basically, if we have the other five items, the proposed                     
  amendment would not be necessary in order to comply and                      
  obtain the federal funding.                                                  
                                                                               
  Number 475                                                                   
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE VEZEY said that as a commercially licensed                    
  driver, he was mandated to drive at a .04 level.                             
                                                                               
  Number 497                                                                   
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE NORDLUND said that the main thrust of HB 61                   
  was to arrest more drunk drivers, and the capture of federal                 
  funds was secondary.                                                         
                                                                               
  Number 504                                                                   
                                                                               
  CHAIR FOSTER noted that he was neutral on the legislation                    
  and asked the committee what their will and intentions on HB
  61 were.                                                                     
                                                                               
  Number 507                                                                   
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE MACKIE suggested that the amendment be sent                   
  with the bill to the Judiciary Committee.                                    
                                                                               
  Number 512                                                                   
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE MENARD moved for passage of HB 61 with                        
  individual recommendations.                                                  
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE VEZEY objected.                                               
                                                                               
  Upon a roll call vote, the motion failed.                                    
                                                                               
       YEAS (3):  MENARD, MACKIE, DAVIS                                        
       NAYS (3):  MULDER, FOSTER, VEZEY                                        
                                                                               
  Number 520                                                                   
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE NORDLUND stated that if it was the will of                    
  the committee, he would request the amendment be                             
  incorporated into a committee substitute.                                    
                                                                               
  Number 523                                                                   
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE MULDER moved the amendment into HB 61.                        
                                                                               
  Number 545                                                                   
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE VEZEY objected.                                               
                                                                               
  Number 550                                                                   
                                                                               
  A roll call vote of the committee passed the motion made by                  
  Representative Mulder which incorporated the proposed                        
  amendment into a committee substitute.                                       
                                                                               
       YEAS (5):  Foster, Mulder, Mackie, Davis, Menard                        
       NAYS (1):  Vezey                                                        
                                                                               
  Number 550                                                                   
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE MENARD moved for passage of CSHB 61(TRA) with                 
  individual recommendations.                                                  
                                                                               
  REPRESENTATIVE VEZEY objected.                                               
                                                                               
  Upon a roll call vote, the bill was passed from committee                    
  with individual recommendations.                                             
                                                                               
       YEAS (5):  Foster, Mulder, Mackie, Davis, Menard                        
       NAYS (1):  Vezey                                                        
                                                                               
  Number 565                                                                   
                                                                               
  CHAIR FOSTER adjourned the meeting at 5:50 p.m.                              

Document Name Date/Time Subjects